There are many roofing materials that offer important functions such as waterproofing, high wind resistance and heat-reflectivity. Asphalt shingles, due to their durability and relatively inexpensive up-front cost, are regarded as one of the most commonly used roofing covers across North America. To understand this material better, here are six fast facts from trusted roofing contractor NorthWest Construction.
1. The asphalt shingle is an invention of Michigan-native Henry Reynolds. First introduced in 1903, this roofing material gained popularity as homeowners attempted to eliminate the use of wood shingles. Slate granules were later incorporated into the shingles to make them more long-lasting and durable.
2. Asphalt shingles are constructed in layers. The types of shingles are determined by the base layer material used. The base layer of organic asphalt shingles is made of felt or any wood product, while fiberglass shingles use a fiberglass mat.
3. Due to the toxic hazards of asbestos, recent generations of shingles used fiberglass as replacement. Although fiberglass shingles look identical to organic asphalt shingles, the fiberglass mat offers better fire-resistance and acts as a lighter base to speed up roof repair or replacement.
4. Since asphalt shingles are lightweight, they are easier to maintain. The process of asphalt shingles installation and repair is quicker for roofing companies to complete, cutting down on labor and maintenance costs.
5. Roofing companies offer a wide selection of asphalt roofing colors. Asphalt shingles are composed of multi-colored granules which create a variety of deep and light palettes. With the help of design consultants, manufacturers can develop color blends to complement any home style.
6, Asphalt shingles are durable and recyclable. The average lifespan of asphalt shingles ranges from 20 to 40 years. After reaching the end of their service life, they can be reused as new asphalt pavements, lessening the waste that goes to landfills.
Asphalt shingles offer homeowners an effective barrier against severe weather elements, and provides them a beautiful home with timeless architectural appeal. For excellent roofs and gutters solutions, turn to NorthWest Construction. Call us today at (313) 277-7676 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation. We serve residents in Dearborn, Taylor and West Bloomfield, MI, and the surrounding areas.